Thursday, March 14, 2024

Excerpt from A Time Traveler's Companion chapter 1

 

(This is an excerpt from the book I am writing & not the full chapter)

Trigger Warnings: age gap romance/sexual situations 

MA-18 & over

  Let me tell you about the day I met the man who changed my life forever, it was ordinary day, nothing special and I decided to take a hike at one of my favorite hiking spots, the Menifee Cross Trails.

 The hills are crisscrossed with numerous narrow trails, offering a total of 2.7 miles of hiking. However, if you decide to explore the additional trails in the area, it can turn into quite a satisfying workout. Leila, my friend, and I have ventured up those hills a few times before. One day, while she was busy working at the nearby mall, I found myself feeling bored. I decided to take my Honda electric plugin hybrid for a spin and parked it in the dirt lot where most hikers leave their cars, conveniently located next to one of the trails. Three other cars were parked in the area, all owned by the most committed hikers who frequent the spot. 

I brought along my trusty red and brown backpack, sporting my favorite olive-green safari button-up shirt paired with brown khaki shorts, and laced up my ankle-high rust brown hiking boots before hitting the trail. Reaching the summit of a modest hill, I paused to catch my breath. Glancing around, my gaze settled on the imposing metal cross standing proudly atop a larger hill nearby. The origin of the cross remained a mystery to me, yet it served as a focal point and drew visitors to the hiking trails. As the fog gradually dissipated, the landscape appeared less foreboding than it had at the start of my trek. In the distance, I spotted a couple of fellow hikers enjoying the serene surroundings. I took a sip from my water bottle and after I rested a bit, I started my descent. As I continued my journey, I noticed a different path up ahead and decided to explore it. However, out of nowhere, a series of bizarre events unfolded, catching me off guard. The air crackled with an eerie static electricity, causing a shiver to run down my spine. My heart raced in my chest, amplifying the intensity of the moment. Standing there, an inexplicable sense of unease crept over me as I waited. A nagging feeling urged me to flee, yet I remained rooted to the spot. Suddenly, a peculiar whooshing, humming noise echoed from behind me, causing me to whirl around in alarm. Before me, a strange shimmering object materialized, startling me into a sudden jump. As I took a step back, my eyes widened in disbelief as an ominous black monolith emerged out of thin air right before me. Time seemed to stand still as I found myself frozen in place, holding my breath in anticipation of what would happen next. “What the Fuck?” I muttered, as the force of the strange monolith materialized; a sudden whirlwind swooshed my hair back. The wind abruptly ceased, leaving me in a state of bewilderment.


I glanced around, hoping to find someone who had also witnessed this inexplicable phenomenon. Standing there, a mix of awe and confusion washed over me. "What in the world," I thought. Curiosity compelled me to approach the enigmatic object, cautiously running my fingers along its smooth and icy surface. A sudden jolt of static electricity coursed through me. “Ouch,” I recoiled my hand. The monolith towered before me, measuring 40 inches wide, and a staggering 7 feet in height. Perplexed, I couldn't help but wonder about the purpose and origin of this mysterious structure. With wide eyes and a mind filled with questions, I stood there, utterly dumbfounded. Just as I contemplated the enigma before me, a figure emerged from within the monolith. Startled, I swiftly moved to the other side, seeking cover behind the towering structure. As I peered from behind the monolith spotting a man stepping onto the trail, seemingly unaffected by the strangeness of the situation. He looked to be in his late twenties, maybe early thirties. 


He glanced around, scanning from left to right. Looking at his attire, he was donning a brown pinstriped blazer over a white button-up shirt, paired with denim jeans and black high-top sneakers. Initially unaware of my presence, I hid behind the monolith and discreetly glanced around the corner. As he moved away from the monolith towards my intended direction, I debated whether to leave or follow him, ultimately, I succumbed to my curiosity and trailed him surreptitiously. Halting midway, he paused to survey his surroundings with hands in his pockets, letting out a sigh and shaking his head. Eventually, he pivoted to return to the monolith, our gazes locking as he appeared surprised, his eyes filled with curiosity. “Wow,” he said, as he scanned my appearance, “Are you one of the locals?” I just stared at him, and he smiled. I was at a loss for words, unsure of what to say as I noticed a distinct British accent in his voice. “Who are you,” I finally got the courage to ask. “You can call me Mr. Smith,” he said. “How did you get here,” I asked, my curiosity piqued. With a sly grin, he approached me and replied, "I stumbled upon this place during my travels." His eyes sparkled with a mix of curiosity and a hint of allure. I glanced at the monolith. As he spoke, I couldn't help but take a step back, unsure of what to expect. Sensing my hesitation, he reassured me, "If you're interested, I'll gladly show you, come travel with me,” he paused. “But if not, feel free to leave." A lump formed in my throat, causing me to hesitate. He moved closer, attempting to hold my hand, but I instinctively pulled away. "Don't worry," he assured me, his voice soothing. "I'll ensure your safety and make sure you have an interesting time."  Gesturing towards the mysterious monolith, he insisted, "Trust me, let me show you." Once again, he reached out for my hand, and a warm sensation washed over me, making it impossible to resist. Despite my apprehension and uncertainty, I found myself irresistibly drawn to this enigmatic man who emerged from the monolith. His captivating eyes, charming smile, and the aura surrounding him had me completely mesmerized, along with the enigmatic monolith itself. As his touch enveloped me, all thoughts of my past vanished, and I became completely entranced, until he finally asked, "What's your name?" I timidly introduced myself, "Um, my name is Remi,” I said softly. His smile transformed into a seductive smirk, his eyes leisurely exploring every part of me. Approaching the towering monolith, I noticed a lone figure peering down from the nearby hills, undoubtedly as bewildered as I was by its sudden appearance. I couldn’t see what the person was wearing but I think it was a man. "Come on," he beckoned, gesturing towards the monolith with a flirtatious smile and a playful wink. Confused, I glanced at the monolith’s surface, devoid of any inscriptions, its sleek black surface chilling to the touch, just as I had mentioned earlier. With a sudden jolt, the door slid open, causing me to instinctively recoil. With unwavering confidence, he took a bold stride into it, and I hesitantly mirrored his actions. However, as I crossed the threshold, a wave of disbelief washed over me, causing my mouth to fall open and my eyes to widen in astonishment. The sheer magnitude of what lay before me left me breathless, and I couldn't suppress a gasp that escaped my lips. 


In that moment, he couldn't contain his excitement and proudly declared, "Welcome to my humble abode," relishing the astonishment that was etched across my face. "This is a Time Dimensional Spacecraft, or TDSC for short," he announced. Looking around, I suddenly realized that I was situated within an otherworldly spacecraft. My eyes wandered around the room, absorbing the sleek, jet-black design with mesmerizing geometric patterns. The two control panels on opposite walls and the smooth floor that mirrored the ceiling captured my focus. "Wait a minute," I blurted out as I exited the craft and walked around it, examining the strange structure, feeling a wave of bewilderment wash over me. It became apparent that the interior and exterior of the spacecraft were not proportional in size. I quickly made my way back inside, trying to make sense of this perplexing discovery. My eyes wide in astonishment. "Wow! I can't believe my eyes, it's bigger on the inside!" I exclaimed, filled with awe. 


Instead of feeling afraid, I was completely fascinated by the whole experience and eager to uncover the mysteries behind this intriguing man and his extraordinary ship. He chuckled, clearly pleased with my reaction. "I had a feeling you'd be amazed," he said, with a smug grin on his face. My heart raced, and I couldn't tear my gaze away from the mesmerizing interior. "Would you like to embark on an adventure with me?" he asked. My heart skipped a beat, and I took a deep breath, my eyes brimming with astonishment. I was at a loss for words.  "Your eyes are captivating," he remarked, gazing at me intently, as if weighing a decision. His deep brown eyes roamed over me in a suggestive manner, causing me to blush and look away. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air momentarily. Then I asked, “Am I being abducted?" I hesitated, edging towards the door that was invisible from the outside but visible from within.

 "No, the choice is yours if you wish to leave. We're still on the same hiking trail you were on,” as he approached, he offered reassurance and locked his gaze with mine, his towering figure almost reaching six feet, compared to my height of five feet and six inches. Feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation, I couldn't help but nervously smile back at him. "I believe the person you saw earlier is nearing the TDSC and may be contacting others soon." A soft smile graced his lips as he looked directly at me, his eyes filled with anticipation. It was evident that he was eagerly awaiting my response, silently pleading for a positive answer. The way he gazed at me spoke volumes, conveying his desire for me to agree to whatever he was proposing. "If you decide to accompany me, we can journey to any destination of your choosing, and I'll ensure we return before dinner. I possess the ability to traverse time. The possibilities are endless," he said, enticing me further. Despite his kind offer, I still felt unsure. "Don't worry, once you get to know me, you'll realize I’m not such a bad guy,” he continued to persuade me. His words were accompanied by a chuckle and a smile, sending a shiver down my spine. As I nervously chortled, my eyes spotted a mysterious black pillar embellished with sparkling crystals in the center of the room. It truly captivated me. Setting my backpack down on the floor, I cautiously approached, drawn in by its enchanting allure. "What is this?" I asked, circling around the strange pillar with multicolored quartz crystals at the center, one of them glowing brightly. "No, don't touch it," he warned, causing me to retract my hand. "What are they?" I asked, intrigued. "They control this ship," he explained. I pondered over the offer he made earlier. "I'll accept your offer, but..." I hesitated.

"But what?" he asked.

"I hope you'll bring me back before dinnertime or before 10pm," I nervously chuckled, feeling a strange attraction towards him.



 Standing in front of each other, the crystals casting a soft glow on my face, I couldn't help but question the risks of joining this enigmatic being from another realm on an adventure. "How old are you?” he asked, then added, “I don't want any trouble for bringing a minor along on my,” he paused and said, “adventures," as he finger quoted. Confusion washed over me as I glanced at him, prompting me to contemplate my uneventful existence. I pondered, "I don’t have a boyfriend right now and I clearly don’t have any plans.” After a brief pause, I mustered the courage to respond, "I'm twenty," I said, it was a blatant lie though. Despite being only eighteen, I decided to withhold this information from him. His inquisitive gaze persisted as he mulled over my answer. "Well, I suppose, however you do appear to be young," he remarked, delicately tracing his fingers along the glowing crystals on the table on top of the pillar. "Everyone always says that when they meet me, but I'm actually twenty, my birthday is in four months," again I lied and gulped. He moved closer, gently caressing my cheek and planting a sweet kiss on my forehead. I blushed, and he flashed a grin. "So, where do you want to go?" he asked, tapping a crimson crystal. Suddenly, a sleek jet-black seat materialized a short distance away from him. Without a care, he casually took off his brown pinstriped blazer and tossed it onto the chair. Pondering his words, I said, "If you truly have the power to time travel, I'd love to visit the 1970s." 



2 comments: