Sunday, March 17, 2024

Excerpt from A Time Traveler's Companion Chapter 2

 


Chapter 2: 1976

(Trigger warnings: Age gap romance/sexual situations
MA-18 & over)

We reached our destination within minutes. "Here we are," he exclaimed, taking my hand with excitement shining in his eyes. Stepping out of the TDSC, we found ourselves surrounded by people strolling down the sidewalk, dressed in 1970's fashion. I couldn't help but feel a bit out of place, considering my modern attire from the 2010's. However, he seemed unfazed by it all, too captivated by my expressions and the wonder in my eyes as I absorbed the surroundings. A sense of awe and disbelief washed over me; it felt like I had been transported to a different era.

"So, what do you want to do now?" he asked, still holding my hand.

"Well, I think I should blend in first, don't you think?" I replied, referring to the need to dress in clothes that matched the time period.



"Sure," he agreed, and we made a quick stop at a clothing boutique on our way. I tried on multiple outfits, but I couldn't make up my mind. Eventually, I decided to purchase a dress that would be suitable for the evening. As I was changing in the dressing room, he unexpectedly peeked inside. Startled, I exclaimed, "Hey, you're not supposed to be in here! I'm not decent!" My cheeks flushed with embarrassment. He glanced at my appearance; his eyes filled with desire. "Let me assist you," he offered, stepping into the dressing room. Gently, he brushed my hair to one side and tied the straps at the back of my neck.


The blue dress, a shimmering satin piece from the 70s, cascaded down to my mid-calf, the fabric caressing my skin gently. As I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, a smile of contentment graced my lips. Standing behind me, he exhaled softly, his touch on my shoulders sending shivers down my spine, followed by a tender kiss. Drawing closer, he whispered, "You're beautiful," causing my cheeks to flush, butterflies to flutter in my stomach, and my heart to quicken its pace. Mentioning the need for shoes, I glanced at him, to which he responded apologetically, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, you know, " he was embarrassed by his actions. “It’s okay, no problem,” I paused and thought my words out carefully. “I find you attractive, but I just met you. I would like to get to know you better,” I said, timidly

"So you think I'm attractive?" he inquired. "I’m just an old man, you know," he added, playfully.

I chuckled, "You don't appear that old. You seem like you're 28," I nervously added. He blushed and grinned. "Indeed, I am," he replied with a sly smile. "I'll buy the dress for you, and we can check out the shoes," he offered.

“Do you have anything to wear to the nightclub?” I asked him. He pressed his lips together and pondered.

“Um, I think so. I will have to look in my wardrobe, the monolith can create clothes for me if I don’t have something to wear.” He stepped out and I got dressed. I asked the cashier if there were any dance clubs around.

 “Yeah, I went to Studio One with my boyfriend last week, and it’s pretty groovy.”

“Where is it?”

“It’s in West Hollywood,” she said, as Mr. Smith paid for my dress and shoes.

“Thanks,” I told her and followed him out the door.

“Where is Studio One? Do you know?” I asked.

“I’ll ask the monolith,” he said with a smile, taking my hand. I couldn't help but wonder if the TDSC could actually talk. As we continued walking on the sidewalk, I noticed a few young people who seemed to be around my age or a year or two older. One of them was staring at me in a flirtatious manner, which seemed to bother Mr. Smith. His brows furrowed, he seemed a bit irritated. I couldn't help but smile, knowing that he was feeling jealous. It was quite flattering to have this attractive and mysterious man find me appealing. 

"So, can we go to that nightclub?" I asked him.

"Of course," he replied. Just then, the TDSC (monolith) sent a signal and appeared in an alley not too far from where we were walking. Mr. Smith glanced at his black steampunk-like wristwatch, which displayed incomprehensible numbers and letters. It was clear that the writing and numbers were not meant for human understanding.




As we rounded the bend into the narrow passage, we caught sight of a pair observing the TDSC. Their faces showed confusion; clearly taken aback by its unexpected presence. It's amazing how the monolith enjoys altering its form, I pondered.



"Pardon me," Mr. Smith uttered politely. The entrance materialized, and we entered. The monolith vanished before the couple's eyes, leaving them stunned. They sprinted away in fear. "Do individuals often panic at the sudden appearance and disappearance of the monolith?" He shrugged, "Perhaps, yes, but they won't witness it again, so it will become a tale they share with their offspring or grandchildren, I presume," he casually remarked, gazing at the holographic image above the crystals. 

 "Ah, I've located the night club, and the TDSC can transport us there."

"Cool," I replied eagerly.

"I need to find something to wear." He strolled towards a corridor and vanished. I explored the vast room where the control panel was located; the intricate patterns on the walls fascinated me. The interior differed from the exterior, despite sharing the same color scheme. I struggled to articulate it. The walls featured geometric lines, forming an artistically sculpted 3D shape. As I examined one of the shapes with curiosity, I noticed something inside it, something ethereal; a figure began to materialize. It resembled a woman with long, wavy sandy blonde hair, and as it drew nearer, I discerned soft, bright blue eyes and a ghostly pale visage. I gasped and hastily retreated several steps back.



I pondered to myself, my curiosity piqued as the mysterious object vanished before my eyes. It left me feeling bewildered and a little frightened. 

"What the Fuck was that?" I muttered under my breath, my voice barely audible. Undeterred, I continued to explore the room, only to find that the walls were all identical, as dark as the night sky. Just as I was engrossed in my thoughts, Mr. Smith returned, twirling around with a mischievous grin on his face. I couldn't help but giggle at his antics. 

"You remind me of that actor from Saturday Night Fever," I playfully remarked. He chuckled and winked at me, seeking my opinion on his outfit. "Should I wear it?" he asked, eagerly awaiting my approval. 

"Well, maybe tone it down a bit and opt for more neutral colors," I suggested, a hint of amusement in my voice. "How about a simple polyester disco shirt and pants?" I chuckled and shrugged, realizing that my suggestion might be more suitable. "Yeah, you're right," he agreed. As the conversation shifted, I couldn't help but share my discovery of a peculiar wall design and the strange occurrence I had witnessed. Mr. Smith's eyes locked onto mine, filled with genuine interest. A moment of silence hung in the air, making me question if I had said something wrong. 

"What did you see?" he inquired, his face filled with contemplation. Gathering my thoughts, I proceeded to explain the apparition-like figure that had briefly appeared, although uncertain of its true nature. 

"I thought I saw an apparition, but I'm not entirely sure," I confessed, feeling a tinge of foolishness.

"It's nothing," he paused. "That was the AI in the monolith. Sometimes it takes on a holographic form. It was curious about you," he admitted.

"Oh, it scared me, that's all," I cleared my throat. 

"The AI took the form of a former companion of mine," he said nonchalantly. 

"It captures the essence of life, and since we were once intimately involved, it captured her image," he added, looking at me solemnly.

"Is she still alive?" I inquired. 

He nodded. "Yes, but she's no longer with me." That's all he said, and I could sense he didn't want to discuss it further. I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy, realizing I wasn't the first woman to accompany him on his travels. Maybe I'm not as special as I thought. "Well, we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," I reassured him.



"No worries," he assured me with a comforting smile as he leisurely walked down the hallway, and I followed closely behind. As we entered his room, I couldn't help but notice him deep in thought, his hands casually tucked into his pockets. Letting out a sigh, I approached him, feeling the need to apologize once again for bringing up the sensitive topic. He shook his head, assuring me that it wasn't a big deal. Placing my hand gently on his shoulder, I expressed my regret once more, but he dismissed it with a wave of his hand. Suddenly, he spun around and pulled me into a tight embrace, his strong arms enveloping me in warmth and reassurance. "I'll just grab something else to wear," he said with a playful smile before making his way to the closet. With a smooth slide, the closet door opened, and he effortlessly selected another outfit, ready to move on from the conversation.

 

I turned around as he got dressed, but I couldn't resist stealing a glance over my shoulder to admire his perfectly sculpted physique as he removed his shirt. I quickly averted my gaze, feeling a rush of excitement. Once he was finished, he tapped my shoulder, causing me to turn towards him.

"What do you think?" he asked, with a hint of anticipation in his voice.

"Better," I replied with a smile, unable to hide my admiration for his appearance. He was dressed in a polyester brownish gold button-up shirt, paired with black polyester pants and stylish Disco-style men's shoes. He had slicked his hair back, completing the look. The monolith suddenly appeared in an alley, right next to the nightclub. He turned to me, with his shades on, and asked, "Do you like my shades?" I chortled. "I don't think you need them at this time of the day," I teased. "Ah, you're right," he conceded, removing the shades. 

"Um, I need to change into my outfit. Could you step out for a moment?" I asked, feeling a bit shy. He kissed my head affectionately and flashed a playful smile. "Sure," he agreed, giving my nose a light tap. He stepped out of the room, giving me the chance to change into my dress and slip on my shoes.



At the stroke of eight in the evening, the nightclub reverberated with the booming music that echoed from within. The doorman requested to inspect my identification card, which Mr. Smith had handed to me earlier, indicating that I was of legal age. As we entered the club, I glanced at the card only to find it completely blank. "Why is this card blank?" I inquired. "Oh, it's a magical I.D. card," he replied with a chuckle. I scoffed, but didn't dwell on it further.



 Mr. Smith's dancing left me in awe, his flawless moves seemed to encompass every dance style from that era. I couldn't help but find it incredibly attractive. 

 Memories of my grandmother's stories flooded my mind as I watched Mr. Smith effortlessly glide across the dance floor. She used to recount her nights out at nightclubs, where she eventually met my grandfather. The retro music playing in the background added to the nostalgic atmosphere, with the song, "Rollercoaster" setting the perfect tone for the evening. After our dance, we settled at our table and enjoyed some drinks, with the waitress surprising me with a refreshing Long Island Iced tea. Mr. Smith said I should be careful drinking it. He was right, I felt tipsy the rest of the night. A slow song started to play, and Mr. Smith and I danced to it, the song was Always and Forever. 

He embraced me tightly, his body radiating warmth as he pressed himself against me. Our cheeks touched, creating an intimate connection. In that moment, I could feel his desire, evident by the growing bulge in his pants as he pressed it against my abdomen. My heart raced with a mixture of excitement and nervousness, my gaze fixated on his captivating brown eyes. I couldn't help but gulp, feeling a surge of anticipation coursing through my veins. As we swayed to the rhythm of the music, a wave of static electricity seemed to flow through me, causing a delightful tingling sensation. Overwhelmed, I let out a soft gasp, my face flushed as I leaned my head against his strong shoulder. The desire to take things further, to explore the depths of passion with him, consumed my thoughts. However, the weight of my virginity held me back, creating a moment of hesitation. Time seemed to slow down, as if the universe was preparing for a pivotal moment in my life. Just then, he tenderly kissed my cheek, leaving me torn between the question of whether I should or shouldn't give in to my desires. Lost in my thoughts, the song came to an end, and we returned to our seats.

"I'm having such an amazing time. How about you?" he asked, his voice laced with a seductive undertone. I nodded, a smile playing on my lips, but deep down, I couldn't help but wonder if this was more than just a fleeting attraction. Did he sense the growing affection I had for him? My mind wandered into a realm of romantic and carnal thoughts, consumed by the intensity of my emotions. As I scanned the club with dreamy eyes, a woman caught my attention, causing my mouth to drop open in surprise. A soft gasp escaped my lips, and he noticed, his gaze following mine towards the mysterious woman.


"What's wrong?" he inquired, his eyes flickering with curiosity as he glanced in her direction.

"My grandmother?" I've seen old photos of her in the family album, and that woman is definitely her.

"It's possible, I don't know your grandmother, but she probably frequented nightclubs in the area," he mentioned, taking a sip of his drink. I stood up, but he quickly grabbed my hand.

 "No," he shook his head, not wanting me to approach her, but I ignored his warning. He groaned, stood up, and attempted to prevent me from going, but I kept walking towards her. He sighed and followed me. I made my way to her; she was sitting at the bar, perhaps waiting for someone. If I recall correctly, she should be 21 at this time. I stood there, hoping she would notice me. Her beautiful hazel green eyes turned and met mine. There was a cocktail drink in front of her.

 



Her sandy blonde, feathered style hair, gently flowed down her shoulders. She wore a white sleeveless sequin disco dress and black platform heels, with long nails painted in silver glitter nail polish. "Who are you and who let you in here?" she paused, eyeing me curiously.  "Oh, she's with me, she's 21. I brought her here for her birthday," Mr. Smith quickly intervened, giving me a kiss on my head.

"Hmm, you have an accent. Are you British?" she inquired, furrowing her brows.

 "Is your name Leena Cabrera?" I asked her.

"Well, it's Leena but not Cabrera. My last name is...," she began.

"Sims," I finished her sentence, causing her to exchange glances with Mr. Smith.

"Do I know you?" she curiously questioned me.

 "Um, I just thought you were someone else, sorry," I hesitated, aware of the potential paradox of interacting with family members in the past.

"I think you had a little too much to drink, let's go home," Mr. Smith suggested, leading us away toward the exit, only to be stopped by my grandmother. She pulled me to one side.

"Is he a relative?" she inquired, casting a suspicious glance his way. I simply nodded and smiled in response.

"Okay then," she breathed out, a look of confusion on her face as she made her way back to the bar. The bartender gestured towards another drink, and she simply nodded, stealing a quick glance at us as we made our exit.

"That woman over there is my grandmother, can you believe it? I never thought I'd see her before she met my grandfather. She looks absolutely beautiful," she confided, a touch of wistfulness in her voice.

 "But how do you know she wasn't actually waiting for him here?" he inquired, causing me to pause and reflect. I remembered her mentioning meeting my grandfather at a nightclub in 1976, but I hadn't realized it was this very one. Feeling a bit lightheaded, I stumbled slightly.

"I probably shouldn't have had that tea," I confessed, to which he let out a soft chuckle. We made our way back to the TDSC (monolith) and stepped inside, where he made some adjustments to the crystals on the console before guiding me to his quarters. "Are we still in the alley?" I questioned, to which he responded, "No, we're in a space between space and time."

"Can I see?" I asked eagerly. 

He responded with a smile, "Maybe later." I shrugged, kicked off my shoes, and relaxed on his bed, smiling contently. As we lay side by side, I couldn't help but be curious about his adventures through time and space. There was a certain melancholy in his eyes that intrigued me. Turning towards me, his expression softened and a gentle smile graced his lips. With a tender touch, he traced his finger along my full lips, his voice filled with sincerity.

 "Right now, being here with you, it feels like the perfect place to be," he confessed, diverting the conversation. And in that moment, he drew closer, his lips meeting mine in a passionate kiss. His tongue explored my mouth, igniting a fire within me. The weight of his body pressed against mine, intensifying the desire that coursed through my veins. As his hand ventured up my dress, a thrill ran down my spine. With delicate strokes, he found my moist clit, sending waves of pleasure through my body. Gasping softly, my heart raced and my cheeks flushed with a mix of excitement and trepidation. Caught between the pull of desire and the fear of surrender, I pushed him away in a moment of panic, accidentally causing him to tumble off the bed.

 "Ouch!" he exclaimed, his expression filled with surprise and a hint of hurt. Overwhelmed by guilt, I extended my hand to help him up, still not ready to fully give in, despite the intoxicating allure of the moment. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my voice laced with uncertainty.

 He inquired, "What prompted you to do that?" I hesitated for a moment, then confessed, "I'm actually a virgin," feeling a mix of embarrassment and vulnerability. In response, he immediately expressed his apologies, rising from the floor, he joined me on the bed. Tenderly, he brushed my hair away from my face and wrapped his arm around me. With a sigh, he admitted, "I'm truly sorry, I had no idea. I should have been more considerate. Let me take you back home," his voice filled with sadness. Overwhelmed by guilt and uncertainty, I couldn't help but question his intentions, especially knowing his past involvement with someone else. I let out a sigh, unsure of what to say next. 

"Even though we didn't," I paused, searching for the right words.

"Indulge in passionate lovemaking," he finished, a warm smile gracing his lips.

"Yes, that," I replied, my voice tinged with nervousness. "Perhaps one day, we can explore that possibility," I added, my words laced with anticipation. To my relief, he agreed, his eyes filled with understanding and affection.

"Maybe it's best if we call it a night. I'll accompany you home," he suggested, leading me out of the room and into the main area. As we walked, I couldn't help but notice the familiar decor and color scheme in the hallways, a comforting reminder of the connection we were slowly building.

 



"How many rooms does this TDSC have?" I inquired, hoping for a straightforward answer. Instead, he pulled me closer, his touch comforting and warm.

‘As many as I need,” his response was cryptic, leaving me with more questions than answers.

“Will you take me back to the same place and time? From there I can drive home.”

“Um, I’m not sure if you should drive home by yourself, considering that you’re still a bit tipsy, I will drive you,” he said as he fiddled with the crystals on the console, moving them around and tapping them.

“But how will you get back to the TDSC?” It was a sensible question but a naive one at that. He smiled and walked up to me; he put his arms around my slender waist, holding me close.

“I call it to me.”

“Really? How is that?”

“It just comes to me when I think about it,” he looked at me as though he wanted to tell me more about the monolith (TDSC) and about himself but was holding back. Maybe it was because he just met me, but I think he wanted to see if I showed more interest in going off with him to the stars and beyond. Personally, I am interested, I want to go on adventures with him, so I hinted that I might join him in the future.

“Um, you know, I would like to travel with you if you like?” His eyes lit up and a self-satisfied smile shadowed his face. “Good, let’s go,” he said as he walked over to the console and started tapping and moving the crystals. My eyes shot open, “No, wait, I really should get my car back home. We should stick to the plan that you presented, then once we’re at my house, we can discuss it further,” I said, anxiously.

He chuckled, “Of course, we can do that.” The monolith appeared next to one of the large trees close to where I parked and it is obscured so cars driving by really can’t see it. The cars that were parked there earlier had left, and for some reason it seemed a bit later. “Are we at the exact time that we left?” I questioned as I slowly walked out, looking around to see if anyone was watching. He stepped out with me. “Maybe, probably not but the same day though.” I pursed my lips. “How are you going to get back to the monolith?” I inquired. He grinned mysteriously and pulled me closer, wrapping his arms around my waist. His response was captivating and full of intrigue. "I'll summon it," he said. We hopped into my car; I was still in my Disco dress, but he changed back into his pre-1976 outfit, in the monolith. After parking in the garage, I grabbed my backpack and headed inside. Surprised he could drive an Earth vehicle, I figured he must have picked up some skills along the way through his journeys. My parents were out and my brother was gone, I went upstairs, and he followed me. Checking my iPhone, I saw messages from my friend about meeting up at the mall later, but I was too tired. Suddenly, the monolith appeared in my room, making me jump back in shock. Staring at it, I couldn't help but wonder how it managed to fit in my room. “How does it fit in my room?” I asked naively.


"It blends in with the environment and change shape,” he mentioned. I realized that was the situation.

"I know you're exhausted, you should change out of that dress. I'll return tomorrow. I'm excited to take you to the Blue Crystal Caverns of Tarislee.”

 "Tarislee?" I inquired.

 "It's a world with caves filled with blue crystals."

 "Really?" My eyes sparkled. "I can't wait. Is it safe for Humans?" I asked.

He affirmed with a nod. "It's a leisure tourist planet, you'll enjoy it." He hugged me, and I felt a bulge in his pants, blushing as he noticed and felt embarrassed.

"Well, I'll see you soon," he said, kissing my forehead before disappearing into the TDSC (monolith). I collapsed on my bed, then got up for a shower.

My family returned; my brother came back from his friend's house with a skateboard. Everyone was occupied with their activities. Leila arrived while I was upstairs.

"Remi, your friend is here," mom called from downstairs.

"Okay," I replied, feeling refreshed after the shower. Leila rushed upstairs to my room.

"Where were you? I messaged you multiple times, it was like you vanished."

"I went hiking, sorry for not seeing the texts." I chose not to mention my new romantic interest, especially since he's non-human and older than me.



Leila had on her boho-style tank top, which was embroidered with black designs, paired with denim shorts. Unlike her usual ponytail, her long, curly chestnut hair flowed freely down her shoulders. We sat together on my bed as she shared stories about her day at work and her boyfriend, but my mind kept wandering back to Mr. Smith. I couldn't help but think about the planet with blue crystals and what it would be like to explore another world. Leila noticed my distraction and asked if I was listening. She playfully prodded me, suggesting that I must have met someone cute. I brushed it off, claiming that I was just lost in thoughts about college. Deep down, she knew I was hiding something, but she assured me that she would keep my secret. With her coffee-colored eyes fixed on me, she seemed curious to see if I would eventually spill the beans. We had been friends since middle school and had never kept secrets from each other until now. After Leila left and the house quieted down, I drifted off to sleep, the night enveloping me in its tranquility. In the middle of the night, I heard a strange whooshing and vibrating sound, but I dismissed it as a dream and went back to sleep.



In the early hours of the morning, I rose from my slumber with heavy eyelids and made my way to the bathroom. Upon returning to my room and settling into my cozy bed, I was startled by the sound of gentle snoring beside me. Initially, I assumed it was Leila, perhaps having spent the night without my recollection, but the snoring had a distinctly masculine tone. Slowly, I turned to face the source of the noise, only to find Mr. Smith peacefully asleep beside me. Shocked and bewildered, I hastily checked to ensure I was fully clothed, relieved to find that I was. "Thank goodness," I whispered to myself, a soft chuckle escaping my lips. Of course I had my clothes on, I thought, rolling my eyes and shook my head. Carefully, I adjusted myself in the bed, and I was careful not to disturb his slumber. I gazed at him for a moment, my mind filled with a whirlwind of thoughts.

 


I wondered why he was there as I gently pulled back the sheets to check if he was clothed. His hand shifted slightly, but he remained asleep. I breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing him in his pants and a white tee shirt, with his shoes by the bed. I smiled, rested my head on his chest, and dozed off. Morning arrived, and I slowly woke up to find him gazing at me from the vanity chair beside my bed, patiently waiting for me to wake up. "Good morning, butterfly. Did you have a good night's sleep?" he inquired. I sat up, feeling a bit uneasy, recalling that while I had my ex-boyfriend in my room before, he never stayed the night, let alone in my bed.



My parents would lose their minds if they found out about Mr. Smith. I'm almost 19, but he's older and practically a stranger. It would've been a disaster if my mom saw him in my room last night, even though nothing happened between us, the situation played out like a nightmare. I was taken aback. "You were here last night?" I asked, knowing darn well he was. 

He got up and sat beside me on the bed.

"Yes, but you were asleep, so I didn't want to disturb you. I ended up falling asleep next to you," he said with a sly smile. I blushed. He clearly doesn't respect boundaries. I sighed. He seemed lost in thought. I stood up, unsure of his unexpected visit. Maybe he doesn't want to leave or be alone. I sensed a hint of possessiveness, something I didn't notice until later in our relationship. Having him in my room made me uncomfortable and a bit scared. "My mom is making breakfast. I'd like to invite you, but I don't know how to explain you coming downstairs with me," I said nervously, running my hand through my hair. He got up, stretched, yawned, then took my hands and kissed them lightly. "Can I give you a morning hug?" I agreed, feeling nervous. We embraced, my heart pounding. I let out a sigh. I could feel his arousal through his pants, making my face flush. "I reckon we should sneak downstairs, and you can go out the front and ring the doorbell. Leave the rest to me," I suggested.

"You probably pull this trick on all your boyfriends," he teased. I opened my eyes wide, shook my head, and chuckled.

"Nah, it's just that my parents have met all the guys I've dated before, so you know how it is," I explained.

He nodded, "Got it, I understand," he said. I took his hand, and we quietly made our way downstairs. I could hear my dad showering upstairs and my mom was in the kitchen. My brother was still asleep in his room. We headed towards the front door. Since it was the weekend, everyone was home. He stepped outside, I closed the door, and started going up the stairs when he rang the doorbell.

"Damn it, he should've waited a minute or two," I whispered to myself. Mom reached the door before I did. I froze behind her.

"Hey sweetie, why are you up?" she asked.

"I heard the doorbell, so I came to see who it was," I quickly replied. She opened the door and Mr. Smith stood there with a nervous smile on his face.

"Mom, this is one of the professors from the college I applied to and he wanted to stop by and discuss the course I'll be taking in his class," I said, ending the sentence with uncertainty.

"Oh, I see," she looked at me, then at him, and smiled. "Alright, come on in," she welcomed him. I was still in my pajamas. "Honey, go upstairs and get dressed," she instructed. I nodded and as I headed upstairs, Mr. Smith gave me an anxious look.

"Go, I'll be right there," I mouthed. I entered my room, the monolith (TDSC) vanished, and I glanced out my window. It appeared across the street in the middle of the neighborhood park, then disappeared. I think it cloaks. I let out a sigh of relief. I noticed a woman with sandy-blonde curly hair, wearing sunglasses.




Clad in a brown leather jacket that zips up front, along with a white tee and jeans, she caught my attention. Curiosity compelled me to retreat and cautiously observe her from behind the delicate white curtains. I was uncertain if she had noticed my presence, an unsettling aura surrounded her, evoking a sense of foreboding. Dismissing these thoughts with a sigh, I swiftly adorned myself. Donning a bohemian-inspired blouse, reminiscent of artisan craftsmanship, paired with frayed black denim shorts and pristine white sneakers, I settled on my bed, lost in contemplation.


I pondered the identity of the woman and also considered the idea of being intimate with Mr. Smith. I don't know why the thought crossed my mind, but the possibility of engaging in something more with him intrigued me. I got up, tied my hair into a ponytail, glanced at my reflection, let my hair loose, and headed downstairs to find Mr. Smith and my parents chatting in the Livingroom. "Hey honey, Mr. Smith mentioned you're taking an astronomy class next semester," my mom exclaimed, surprised.

"It's just a required course," I replied casually, taking a seat next to Mr. Smith.

 "Would you like some breakfast?" my mom offered.

"Sure," he accepted, joining my parents in the kitchen. My brother appeared but didn't have time to eat. "Wait, don't you want anything?" my mom asked.

 “Nah, I’m going to Greg’s house next door to play a game on the PlayStation 3.” Mom rolled her eyes and sighed. “Okay, well say hi to his mom for me.” My brother nodded and left, never batting an eye at our guest.

He’s probably going to the skate park again, a little too early if you ask me. We had a pleasant breakfast, and Mr. Smith excused himself, he said that he had to leave, and thanked my mom for the charming breakfast she gave him. I walked him out. 

“I find your parents charming,” he said.

“Thanks.”

“I will be waiting in the monolith if you want to come with me.” He winked at me and left, I smiled, timidly. I closed the door and started upstairs. 

 “I’m going upstairs, then I’m gonna go to Leila’s house. It’s Saturday and she’s not working today,” I told my parents. I came down a minute or two later with my backpack.

“I decided to walk to her house, might spend the night too, see you guys later okay,” I called out as I opened the front door. My parents were still in the kitchen drinking coffee.

“Be careful wherever you go, dear,” mom shouted out.

“I will,” I said and took a deep breath and exhaled. On Saturdays my parents go out to play tennis and come home and watch TV. It may seem boring to some but for them it’s about routine, and after a stressful week at work that’s what brings them joy. My mom works at a Local boutique and my dad is a lawyer with his own office. I ran toward the park across the street. The woman was gone. I looked around to see if she might still be hovering around. The monolith appeared and the door materialized. Mr. Smith was waiting, I walked in.

 “I was curious if you happened to see a woman with sandy-blonde curly hair or maybe wavy hair, sitting on the bench?”

 “No, why?”

I saw her earlier, sitting on the bench, staring towards my house.”

“When?”

“I was upstairs, getting dressed, and I saw her through my window.” A puzzled expression crossed his face, and he hesitated, his hand hovering over one of the crystals.

“Is everything okay, Mr. Smith?” He glanced at me and shook his head, tapping a few crystals on the console before smiling.

“Don't worry, she was probably waiting for someone,” he responded. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but there was a flicker of recognition in his eyes when I described her. Despite feeling like I should leave and not look back, my curiosity and sense of adventure won out. "I brought my backpack just in case," I mentioned, setting it down.

“Ready to explore the Blue Crystal Caves on Tarislee? He asked eagerly, to which I nodded in excitement.

“"Let's go," he said with enthusiasm.


 Chapter 1 Excerpt

Chapter 3 Excerpt















1 comment:

  1. Love the 70’s, that was an awesome time. Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete